Wednesday, 1 June 2011

More movies, and Jack or Philip?

So, being as none of my school friends are back from university yet, I've been watching a LOT of films whilst at home.

I'm attempting to cover the 'classics' that I never saw growing up - and there are a LOT - as well as ones I have seen that I absolutely love.

So, the last two 'classics' I saw (for the first time) are pretty much polar opposites - 'Pulp Fiction' and 'When Harry Met Sally...'!

I don't intend to give detailed reviews, as there are plenty, but just say what I thought. Let's start with the romcom as I watched that first. I do like a good romantic comedy as much as the next girl, but I'm not quite as easily pleased as a lot of girls. (For example, I'm never watching the 'Sex and the City' film again if I can help it...)

'When Harry Met Sally...' was awesome though! I can't believe I hadn't seen it before! It's supposed to be the original brilliant romantic comedy that gave rise to lots of little relationship-related pop culture type things, so I thought it might seem a bit dated, but it didn't! It felt fresh and funny and I'll definitely be watching it again. And again. And again, predictably with ice cream.

And as for 'Pulp Fiction', well, it wasn't BAD - I did enjoy it - more so than I think I maybe should have - but it's not going up there in my top films. This is probably because it's more of a boy's film. I can see why it's become a classic though, I think that style of cinematography was unique for the time (whether being introduced or re-introduced, it was out-of-the-ordinary).

And now the second part of my title.

I was engaged in a thoroughly meaningless and very enjoyable debate this morning as to whether Jack Sparrow - sorry, Captain Jack Sparrow - or Philip Swift (characters from the newest 'Pirates' film) was the more attractive. Both held different types of appeal. I can't choose between Jack's lovable weirdness, undeniable charm and the whole pirate thing (or, if you like, the 'bad boy' thing) and Philip's earnestness, vulnerability, and good looks.

God, I love having no exams to revise for.

In order to maybe start to do something a bit more worthwhile now I've had a full week of complete laziness, I'm going to attempt to begin writing again (as in, fictional things). Keep an eye out for a new blog under the same profile, where the pieces I'm brave enough to share with my lack of an audience will be posted.

Much love, and best of luck to students still preparing for exams! x

1 comment:

  1. A bit more speculations about what happened in the end of On Stranger Tides (2011) can be found here

    ReplyDelete