Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Guilt-free lounging, movies, and Jack Sparrow

Exams finished last Friday. And now it's certain - they WERE the hardest exams so far. My attending two conferences the week before did me no favours, but I had been accepted for presenting my BMedSci research (only as a poster, but still), and the consequent promise of highly coveted MTAS points was too great.

Still, never mind. Maybe I will have scraped through. Although I doubt I'll have scraped through them all - it will be particularly miraculous if I pass my Psychiatry OSCE. My first station was a disaster (mostly owing to the fact my examiner seemed to be deaf, or perhaps she was feigning deafness to see how I'd react, I'm not even sure), and then I was not concentrating and said many bizarre things in the next stations.

One can hope.

Anyway, it's holiday time now, for which I am extremely grateful. Guilt-free lounging is the best kind. The first three days of my holiday have all consisted of watching films (with a driving lesson a day)...currently rewatching 'Alice in Wonderland'. Johnny Depp is a genius.

The first film of the holiday was, of course, the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film. I really loved it. It probably wasn't as brilliant as the first film, but it was easier to understand than the second two, and held its own. Die-hard fans will adore it (I am one of those), and the rest, if they remember that it's not supposed to be fabulously high-brow, will most likely love it too. If you're going to act all pretentious about it, as one of my friends did, then you clearly missed the point. It's pure Disney entertainment, people. Don't forget that. It was funny, didn't take itself seriously, there were sword fights and mermaids and awesome cinematography...and of course, the lovely Captain Jack Sparrow, although he did not sway my opinion in any way at all.

Never.

The other thing I'm attempting to do this holiday is to read a book called 'Gardens of the Moon'. It was recommended by the significant other, and they managed to get through the book I recommended, and said it was brilliant, so I'm trying really hard, but it's so difficult. I've never attempted such high fantasy before. Still, we'll see how things go. I think it doesn't help that I barely understand the politics and policies of this world, so be be dropped in the midst of a completely made up set is just incredibly confusing.

More later, I'm off to finish watching this movie now!

No comments:

Post a Comment