Friday, 23 September 2011

'Yeah, I don't think it'll come to anything.'

...my lovely (he IS lovely, he's just also a surgeon) daddy's response to the following, which I excitedly told him over the phone last night:

"You remember my F1 friend? Well, she says one of her F1 colleagues really isn't enjoying being a doctor, and she's looking to go into some sort of writing profession, potentially medical journalism. So I'm going to meet with her next week to see how she's going about it!"

Fabulous. Thanks, dad. I know it's his role to be realistic and to warn me in advance when he can foresee my daydreams being crushed, but still.

To be honest, I'm not sure what will be achieved by speaking with her. But if I start F1 and feel the same way as she does, then I'd like to know what my options are; so speaking to her seems a good idea.

Will update on how it goes, of course!

In other news, the Lancet offer some kind of internship programme to medical students as well, so I've contacted them in addition to the BMJ. Can't hurt, can it?

Off now for a talk on the UKFPO (or MTAS) job application process for medical students xx

P.S. By the way, in case anybody non-medical ever stumbles across this, F1 refers to a 'foundation year one' doctor, i.e. the most junior doctor)

No comments:

Post a Comment