I have some - not many - friends who *genuinely*do hardly any work throughout the whole year, and then at the end, they somehow manage to cram everything they need to know - and they do really really well.
The worst thing about that is not the fact that they do it; but the fact that I once-upon-a-time thought I could do the same.
Yeah, I can't.
It was a hard lesson to learn, and time management is a lot more difficult than I anticipated (this being the first year that I've realised the cramming will not work for me, even if it might for others).
But enough of that! Mini rant over...
I don't know if I already mentioned this, but I'm currently on my orthopaedic / rheumatology attachment. I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, and - oh dear God, I can't believe that as a 'reluctant medic', I'm about to say this, but - I like the orthopaedic side of things!
Oh, don't get me wrong - I could never be an ortho surgeon. I have neither the upper body strength nor the testosterone, but I do quite like the theatre banter and I love the fact that it's so straightforward.
Don't repeat the above to anybody though. We wouldn't want people to think I had changed my ways :P
I had an interesting discussion with a fellow student about orthopaedic surgeons the other day. The girl in question is very ambitious and since first year, I've assumed her eventual aim to be a surgical one, and she's mentioned orthopaedics in the past as well.
Me being me, I never really listened, and 'orthopaedic surgery' were words that might as well have been in Swahili for all they meant to me. I wasn't interested and didn't care.
So it was REALLY funny when I said to her 'Oh, I'm actually quite enjoying orthopaedics!', and she responded, 'Really?! I've been completely turned off it by some of the totally awful surgeons!'
I was a little bit surprised given surgery was apparently her heart's one true love, and orthopaedics seemed so hardcore that it would definitely have been within the types of surgery she'd consider the best. So naturally I asked why, and said, 'They seem great to me! They're a bit laddish, but the banter is wicked!'
Her response? A sniffy 'Yes, well, I'm not surprised YOU think that. I just think they're arrogant bastards.'
...I'm not really sure what that says about what she thinks of me? But I found it pretty hilarious, anyway. I like this girl a lot, but I couldn't help snorting with laughter at that last response; didn't go down too well...
Anyway. More later, off to bed now! xx
No comments:
Post a Comment