So, I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to update this over the next little while as my Easter holiday begins tomorrow and I'm off with a friend to Scotland for three days!
Hence I'm updating now, despite being on the bus - yes, I worked out how; God bless google (and eager people willing to help), forever.
So, I had the teaching assessment, where I taught, as I said I would earlier, a group of about ten women all older than me and all working. A few were nurses, a few were HCA's (healthcare assistants) and a few were radiotherapists.
So, it was fine overall, I spoke too fast and was better when we split them into small groups amongst a few more teachers. But my supervisor said it was okay, and good for a first attempt, so there we go.
There's not much to add, but the following happened, which was quite...interesting, I suppose.
At the beginning, I got them to introduce themselves (not individually, just with a 'so where do you all work?' style question), and introduced myself. I, for some unknown reason, felt compelled to say 'I'm just a medical student' to which the nearest radiotherapist immediately scoffed, 'JUST? Just?!'
Now, what is the correct response to this? Moreover, what was she expecting me to respond with? (Yeah, I'm aware I shouldn't have said it in the first place but still...)
Possible (maybe) options:
'Yes, I was being deliberately sarcastic just to piss you off because hey - you're not a doctor!'
'Yeah...because I'm not sure I even want to do medicine.'
'Mmhmm. As opposed to somebody with a JOB, i.e. you guys.'
'Yup. Because we're treated like crap by a lot of people in your positions, so we now have super low self esteem!'
...anybody got any other ideas? Anyway, I went with a shrug of the shoulders and a 'I just meant I'm just a student, as in, not working yet.' Which they seemed to accept as a sensible answer.
Anyway, more later, on a discussion I had with colleagues regarding the whole being-treated-like-crap thing.
Disclaimer type thing by the way: I think most healthcare staff are actually fine with us; it's just there's no denying the significant minority that aren't. But yeah, no offence to any NHS staff reading this!
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
No comments:
Post a Comment